Thursday 25 April 2013

Dead boob... flopping?

I'm back in Winnipeg, where I haven't lived since I was 19. They kept the snow just for us, about a month later than normal. The girls enjoy exploring all the strange spring structures - water flowing down the edge of the street, ice levitating above the melted parts, piles of grit and dead leaves left over from last fall, shear ice where the puddles freeze overnight. They girls are adjusting. It's taking time, but it will come.

Cancer wise, I've been given a blow. The swelling, redness and dimpled skin I noticed before my first treatment mean it was inflammatory. That explains why the tumour grew so fast, but also makes my prognosis worse. Much worse. I will be having a mastectomy, possibly loosing more of my lymph nodes, radiation is pretty much guaranteed and there might even be another set of chemo once all of that is done. Can anyone recommend good headwrap instruction videos? It's going to be a long time before I again have hair, and my scalp is getting cold. It's also extremely bizarre to walk around with body parts I will no longer have in the fall.

The good signs: It's not in the lymph nodes they removed. The chemo made the swelling and skin symptoms disappear straight away. I am surrounded by people who want me well and plan to support me.

I plan to live, although I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared.

3 comments:

  1. A friend who went through the hair loss went for a wig, but you're more tempted by wraps? Would hats tempt? Maybe not in summer ...

    It all sounds terrifying, but you sound very brave.

    Thinking of you ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wore a toque when I first arrived, but I've mostly been going with my bald head, followed by head wraps or (non-religious) hijab. I got asked to take 'that thing off my head' at the driver's permit office, nice Winnipeg. I also just found a hat I really like, but I've been picky on those until now. Wigs feel phoney. I thought I would find them fun but they just feel odd. It doesn't help that my head is really sensitve and they all seem to be lined with plastic..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's my favourite head wrap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhiX5jAnx0Q&feature=share&list=PLTNfT8FDwPBX5W5LXBd5tLv9_luRtZ8aW

    ReplyDelete